Sunday, February 27, 2005

* the future of graphic design *

Every week, I spend a little time going thru the pages of Design Observer.
I enjoy most articles and always learn something! I just finished reading Designing Under the Influence, by Michael Bierut He starts out the article recalling an interview he had with a designer fresh out of college. While looking thru her portfolio he noticed one of her pieces resembled that of Barbara Kruger. It had a similar graphic style. When he asked if Kruger was of any influence, the young designer said "who". She had no clue who Kruger was! How can one attain a graphic design degree and have no clue who Barbara Kruger is? This not being the point of his article, but it was all I could think while getting thru the rest of it. Where is graphic design heading? If this is an example ladies and gents we are in BIG trouble! What is even scarier is their are people who think this is ok! One persons comment was,

" OMG. I'm a beginning design student myself and all I can say is "you arrogant snob". WTF Do you know how many million artists and designers exist in the world today? The population explosion has attained such unprecedented levels that there really is no longer any room for pretentious snobbery. You must be over 40 is all I can say."

Can you imagine calling Bierut a "arrogant snob" - not that I putting a halo around his head, but come on! My guess is she did not know Kruger, but she also was not familiar with the writing of Bierut. What is more amazing is someone that had no clue about Kruger, actually got to interview at Pentagram.

Sorry, I had to have a little rant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home