Wednesday, February 09, 2005

* PosterRama *

Walking the streets of New York, you are constantly having Ads forced down your throat. This is one of the many things I love about being in New York. I guess I am quite opposite of most AdBuster readers. The Ads come in all forms. Some of the subway have huge screens advertising with commercials playing constantly. But, my fav. is the array of posters plastered all over the city. For the most part they are just randomly placed, not centered or straight. Many times repeated over and over again. Also, very interesting is the remainder of old hand painted signs that remain, but faded.
This is a lost craft that I would love to see brought back. Rebecca is doing her thesis on Savannah hand painted signs. Watch out she may be responsible for bringing back the old trade.



This MTV2 poster is part of a series that is posted all over the city. Trying to figure out the message drives me crazy every time. They act as some kind of teaser. You will notice it says nothing about MTV2. Someone, please take these down!




I would say this is a good example of “Impact and then Inform”.




Look closer!




Here is a great row of posters!







These are looking a little Paul Rand, but not as great - Of course!




Very cool hand painted sign!



Had to toss this in! I ran in to this the other day. It’s not a train, it’s not the bus, it’s the Tram. This huge thing transfers people back and forth from Roosevelt Island.


4 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger shannon said...

awwww! Thank you Hollyann! I miss you guys sooo much! Having friends like you two makes things seem a little easier!

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon,

One thing my town does seem to have in common with NYC is a proliferation of these dilapidated hand-painted signs on buildings. We have one right downtown for the Nutty Club Candy Company with this great ol' timey candy-cane-dude mascot. As far as I know the place is still operational because on Thursdays it smells like popcorn, but the image on the big brick wall just seals the deal. I'd take a pic someday but it's bloody cold out!

Take care of Mom!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger shannon said...

hey Anonymous! ;-)
I can't wait to see the pic. I wish I could smell popcorn every Thursday. In Savannah all we smell is the paper factory. It's not as nice as popcorn!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Jeope said...

Hi Shannon,

Anonymous was me. I don't know how that happened. Didn't want to make you scratch your head!

- drcolossus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home