Tuesday, March 15, 2005

* mail order education *

I loved used book stores. Even the lingering smell signals my serotonin level and it gushes out my pores. I can never quickly pop in and out. It’s one of my favorite places to linger when I am procrastinating. All this because I once found a great set of books a few years ago. Since that day, I have not found anything to gush over. I still have hope, one day I will find the rest of the Modern Illustrating, my great find.


Image hosted by TinyPic.com


Federal Schools Inc., out of Minneapolis Minn, had a series of mail order classes you could take during the early part of the 20th century. The student would read this magazine - type booklet and then complete a series of projects on bristol board, then submit for a crit. In return, an instructor would review the work and send the student a typed response. I guess it’s similar to our modern day online courses.


Image hosted by TinyPic.com


What about peer involvement? In any type of correspondence class that involvement is lost. I signed up for a online class SCAD had to offer and realized it was not for me. It had a forum type setup via what seem to be 100’s of emails flying back in forth. I quickly realized the importance of sitting in a class room with a teacher and other students.


Image hosted by TinyPic.com


While trying to find a bit of information on my great find, I found that one of our greatest pulp artist, Norman Saunders, was a student of the Federal Schools. The skilled Saunders perfected the art of half naked chicks and graphic skulls. His comic book cover art was a little more family appropriate, showing the popular themed cowboys and indians. Saunders also work on a series of trading cards that had images of aliens attacking various cities. All of Saunders art was very detailed and imaginative to say the least. I can’t even think of a single artist to compare his style to.


Image hosted by TinyPic.comImage hosted by TinyPic.comImage hosted by TinyPic.com

I have so much more to share, but once again my eyes hurt!!

3 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger lew! said...

really cool find! I should explore some used book stores here in chicago. (as if i need more stuff)

i was going to ask you to post some more from the books on the forum - glad you did here.

interesting stuff.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger shannon said...

keep watching I have taken a ton of pics of the book. I will post them when I have more time!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Jeope said...

Kickass, Shannon. I'm with Lew: Want more. I love Saunders' original Mars Attacks stuff. The best I have here is a late-70s Letraset catalogue and a 40s duck identification guide with cool caricature work. I should invade the stores more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home